The Town of Mount Royal coat of arms comprises several symbolic elements.
Together these components form the official coat of arms of Town of Mount Royal and symbolize our ancestral attachment. Town of Mount Royal’s official signature includes the coat of arms as well as the Town’s name in French and English.
However, the signature we know today was not always the one used to represent the Town.
A tunnel under the mountain
When it was founded, the Town identified itself with a seal featuring a far more literal illustration of its origins than today’s coat of arms. On the seal appeared not only the famous tunnel dug under Mount Royal but also a swing plough, an agricultural implement that recalled the former vocation of the land on which the Town was built, some of the most fertile and prosperous in the Montreal area at the time. Town of Mount Royal chose the symbol to proudly display its support of progress and industrial development.
The first coat of arms, adopted in 1944
Town of Mount Royal’s coat of arms was created in the 1940s by a heraldry specialist, the late Victor Morin. On June 19, 1944, the members of Town Council adopted the coat of arms whose overall composition was basically the same as the current coat of arms but with more detailed and less stylized graphic elements. The description reads: “Argent; mount vert with two rose gules, stemmed and leaved vert; a chief azure charged with a royal crown or. MOTTO: REGIUM DONUM.”
The current coat of arms
In 1993, the members of Town Council voted to refresh the Town’s signature and implement a set of graphic standards. The coat of arms was simplified, the better to represent the Town’s dynamism and development. Today, Town of Mount Royal continues to comply with the established rules regarding the using of its signature in order to maintain this coherent, uniform and evocative image.